Thursday 28 July 2011

Jamie's Feastival

This year I've been upping my foodie event participation. I went to a street food festival on the Southbank, Taste of London (which was amazing by the way) and Jamie's Feastival which was a fusion of music and food in a large outdoor space. Duh! Brainchild of Jamie Oliver.


I was super excited to go because, well the food of course, but also because they had an amateur barbeque contest called Ready Steady Que and I signed up for it. Long story short you get one mystery ingredient, 5 items from the veg baskets and as much herbs and spices as you like, 25 minutes and it must be cooked on the bbq grill.


The mystery ingredient was a quail, I had never cooked a quail period, far less bbq'ed one, but I was up for the challenge. I chose bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, chillies and lemons. I decide to leave the quail whole and I rubbed some paprika and garlic salt into olive oil to make a paste and I covered the quail with that, I figured the paprika would give it a nice colour as well as a smoky taste, and garlic, well that's just good sense. 


On the mushrooms I rubbed dry basil and olive oil, I grilled half of a bell pepper and two whole chillies, and in a frying pan I sautéed onions and peppers julienned. I then chopped the julienne slices and stuffed them into the half pepper. 
I made a raw chilli and onion salsa with lime juice, oil and garlic and I roasted the mushroom caps. 



When the quail was nicely coloured I wrapped it in foil so that it wouldn't dry out, because I didn't know if it was cooked all the way through. Turns out I'm a genius because it made a nice little sauce in the foil and the quail was as succulent as ever. I took the quail off when I had five minutes left and cut it in half along the breast bone. 


I came second, but ended up burning my hand in the process when the bbq grill top fell open on my hand, ah well, I wear it like a badge of honour.




                                                               Other highlights of the feastival?


I met Levi Roots


Saw Jamie Oliver (the back of his head)


The food of course!
Pulled pork salad, asian chicken salad, gourmet burger!
Best lamb sandwich ever!
Haggis









Levi Roots singing Put some Reggae Reggae sauce on it! (priceless)



The weird DJ girl

The crazy dancing in undies men!


These mussels were so good and fresh and *drools*




Will definitely be visiting if he does it next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment